Monday 10 September 2007

Bugger!

I am not spectacularly good at seeking or accepting help. I am not sure why this is the case but there you go.

My shed has been waiting quietly for 3 years to be built. This is a good sized shed in a kit. To build it you need to put together portal frames and then lift them into position on the pre-prepared footings. Everyone who has put one of these sheds together tells me that precision is essential and that, if you are able to be precise at each step, the shed will go together pretty well.

The foundations are done. Took a while but there were other things to do along the way. One of the most difficult portal frames is in place. Looks a lot bigger than I expected. The second (of a total of 6) has been constructed but I have not yet found away to get it into place. My neighbour is very keen to give me a hand. Two others have offered to help.

One technique I have used to some effect is to use my tractor as a lifting tool. Unfortunately, tractors are not really all that good as precision instruments and it has been difficult to achieve the necessary level of accuracy.

Anyway these wonderful friends of ours have made a decision that they are coming down to help. This is to be my birthday present and one of the best I reckon. A job that I would struggle for a couple of weeks on could conceivably be done in a day or so.

To achieve the best benefit I need to put the frames together before they get here. There is a week or so in that job.

So, yesterday I was getting into it. Needed to clear a bit of ground to allow me to lay out the frames. Stepped off the tractor as I have a thousand times before. Sprained my ankle. Can't walk too well.

Bugger!!!!

2 comments:

Nabla said...

So I guess we'd best leave a couple of days free when we get there in December?

mangoman said...

There might be a bit of concreting left to do. But the shed frame will be there this weekend!