Wednesday 12 September 2007

Crook Foot

You should always look for the positives they say. Well my foot - and ankle - is bloody sore and I find it difficult to walk around too much. Can't get a boot on and this makes it less than safe to work on my building site (although I am not really sure why I should worry about a foot that is being such a nuisance.)

Read a book yesterday. I read a lot of books but, unfortunately rarely get a chance to read one all at once. The one I read yesterday is one that I didn't really want to finish - wanted to savour it - but one that I couldn't put down.

I am not normally inspired to read books by reviewers. This book "The Broken Shore" by Peter Temple was reviewed on the ABC Book Club program. They raved about it. I spotted it in a shop and bought it on spec. It is a beauty. The reviewers were right - and I should learn not to dismiss all reviewers as wankers.

I do enjoy crime novels and 'The Broken Shore" does fit into that category. It is a good crime novel. A better than average plot. Some good twists and excellent pace. But the crime is not the point with this book.

Peter Temple uses a technique that sometimes works well and it does in this case. He does not lead in with a detailed establishment of the scene, no obvious setting of the context and no detailed character development. Instead you move into the events with the characters and context being built as these events proceed.

But the events are quickly overtaken by the characters and the context. Temple describes the area, somewhere on the southern Victorian coast, in a way that you can feel, without actually spending too much time doing so. You meet his two dogs and you know them. His hero, Joe Cashin, is flawed and pretty much buggered, but you don't find out why until it comes up in the context of the story.

The story is like moving into an area and gradually getting to know the place and the people in it. There is a gradual process of revelation as there is in any new place. In this case we have the assistance of a bloke who has lived here before and can fill in some of the history.

An excellent book, whether or not you like crime novels.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mangoman: I'm delighted that the book wasn't a let-down after the generous words on the First Tuesday Book Club. Try Lawang oil on the foot and ankle: miraculous stuff. Best, Peter Temple

Anonymous said...

Wow, a comment from Peter Temple! Now I'm impressed enough to want to read the book - it will probably even jump to the head of the queue of books on my bedside table.

Janet said...

Gosh, that's pretty impressive I agree..You should try the remedy. Did you ice it??? Are you sure that you don't have a broken bone??? Maybe you should become a book reviewer while you are laid up. Take care.

Susie said...

You've whetted my appetite - haven't felt inclined to read a book for a little while - might have to go and check it out! I know how you feel about finishing a book. I always take a long time to read the last few chapters. I've got a bit of a crook ankle - I wonder if the oil would work for me? Must try it. I am also really impressed with the comment from Peter Temple.

mangoman said...

The ankle is coming along OK - sort of. I did the Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation thing for a while. Not long enough though.

I am mobile at the moment but it tends to get pretty sore after a while. Was able to work on the shed for a few days this week and this weekend but it takes the whole night to come back to a reasonable size.

Voltaren are pretty good. Be OK soon.