Thursday 4 October 2007

Thirty!!!

How about that? My son turns 30 today - or, more precisely, he turned 30 very early this morning. I can't remember the exact time but his mother will.

Amazing thing it was welcoming this new son into the world. It was the first time for me - and for him for that matter.

I clearly recall walking out of the hospital - the old one in Canberra that has now been blown up -and getting into the car. The news came on the radio and I was very surprised that the first item was not about the birth of this new baby boy - seriously.

Over the next few days I came to understand why people often carry on about the birth of babies, gooing over them, congratulating the parents and generally being very chuffed about the state of the world. I wandered about with my chest puffed out as if I had actually done something special.

Which of course I had.

My son has made it to 30 as a competent, confident person. He will go on from here making his own decisions and his own life.

We got him started and I am pretty proud that we did.

2 comments:

Nabla said...

Aww, shucks and stuff.

Which means you're not far off 60.

Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Really. Lovely.

*insert obligatory brothers are stupid comment here*